Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Middle East Part I: Jordan

Dave and I had a unique oppotunity to visit Israel and Jordan with Dave's sister Bethany and her husband Austin a couple of weeks ago. It was fun to see the different cultures. Here are a few pictures our adventures in Jordan:

When I think of the Middle East I always imagine camels everywhere so it was great when our cab driver pulled over and let us see some random camels hanging out on the side of the road.

This was the one and only Diet Pepsi in the Middle East... I swear. It didn't taste anything like it but the can was cute. You could find all the Diet Coke you ever wanted though.

Our awesome cab driver (can't pronounce his name though).

Our purpose of going into Jordan was to go into Petra and see the Treasury. The walk down to see it was much like the Narrows in Southern Utah only there was no water to wade through and the ground was even.


There were lots of cool little spots that had random caves built into the rock. We later found out that some people still live in caves. Dave wanted to ask them if they knew how to buy Geiko Insurance... I thought that was kind of funny.

There was a giant rock so of course we had to climb it!

Once you get through the canyon it opens up into this huge area with the Treasury straight ahead. You may recognize this place from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.


This just shows how huge this place is.


We of course had to ride a camel.

I may or may not have ripped my jeans getting onto this beast... he was huge!

These are the guards who stand up in the doorway of the Treasury so no one enters.


Around the back of the Treasury there were a lot more of the caves.

When were were exploring these stairs we heard a bunch of racket and a little boy came barrelling down riding his baby donkey. So cute! I wish we had gotten a picture of him.

A giant ampitheater

We had a great time in Jordan!

5 comments:

Mike and Kim said...

Cool pictures! What an amazing opportunity to go there and visit. Also, it was fun to see you at Christmas. And, your pies were amazing!

Ryan and Amber said...

Wow. That looks really neat!

Vanessa said...

Love it. Your Geiko joke was cute. You are so lucky to have gone to places full of history and culture. Can't wait for pt. 2. Glad you guys made it back okay. What's "The Persian Pickle Club" about? I love how you post what books you're reading, I may have told you this already, sorry.

Rachael said...

It looks like your trip was amazing! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories. We should really get together soon.

Julie said...

So cool. I want you and Dave to take Brett and I. Jerusalem has been a dream of mine since I let my spot go with BYU Jerusalem program to get married. (What was I thinking?) Brett promised to take me, and I'm holding him to it.