Monday, December 28, 2009

Coconut Cream Pie

Each year for Christmas my mom asks me to make the pies. I usually try to make a new kind each year but the Coconut Cream is a staple. My Uncle and his family come over every Christmas for pie and this one happens to be Uncle Clarke's favorite. I tried a new recipe this time and he asked me to post it here... enjoy!

Coconut Cream Pie

1 can coconut milk
Half-and-half or heavy cream (enough to add to the coconut milk to make 3 cups)
3 egg yolks
¾ cup white sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Whipped Cream

In a medium saucepan, combine half and half, coconut milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will become very thick. Remove from heat, and stir in ¾ cup of the toasted coconut, coconut extract and the vanilla extract. Pour into baked and cooled pie shell and chill 2-4 hours or until firm. Top with whipped cream and the remaining ¼ cup of toasted coconut.

I got this recipe from www.mykitchencafe.blogspot.com and tweeked it just a little. I love this recipe blog!

No comments: